From the CEO's Desk
Welcome to the website of National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Health care Providers (NABH).
NABH is a constituent board of Quality Council of India, set up to establish and operate accreditation and allied programs for healthcare organizations. The board is structured to cater to much desired needs of the consumers and to set benchmarks for the progress of health industry. The board while being supported by all stakeholders including industry, consumers, government, have full functional autonomy in its operation.
Participation in NABH accreditation program is on a voluntary basis. Healthcare organization apply to participate in a program run by NABH. The health care organization signs a general Accreditation Agreement stating rights and obligations of all parties concerned. The assessment process is performed using standards and assessment procedures as per policy and procedures made beforehand. These can be seen on NABH website. NABH on its website publishes the accreditation status of the healthcare organizations that participate in its program as applicant or accredited.
NABH is an Institutional Member of the International Society for Quality in Health Care (lSQua). NABH 3rd edition Hospital standards are accredited by ISQua.
The award of NABH Accreditation to the healthcare organization means that the organization ensures
1. Commitment to create a culture of quality, patient safety, efficiency and accountability towards patient care.
2. Establishment of Protocols and Policies as per National / International Standards for patient care, medication management, consent process, patient safety, clinical outcomes, medical records, infection control and staffing.
3. Patients are treated with respect, dignity and courtesy at all times.
4. Patients are involved in care planning and decision making.
5. Patients are being treated by qualified and trained staff.
6. Feedback from patients is sought and complaints (if any) are addressed.
7. Transparency in billing and availability of tariff list.
8. Continuous monitoring of its services for improvement.
9. Commitment to prevent adverse events that may occur.
NABH accreditation programs are available for Hospitals, small Healthcare organizations, allopathic clinics, Ayush hospitals and clinics, Blood banks /Blood storage centers, Dental facilities, PHC/CHCs, Medical Imaging services, OST Centers, wellness centers.
Quality is a journey; one has to demonstrate continuous improvement over a period of time. For Healthcare organizations willing to start step-by-step journey for quality improvement, NABH offers the following certification programs
Safe I for prevention and control of HAIs
Nursing Excellence for improving nursing care
Medical laboratory for improving quality of lab tests.
Recently, NABH has also come out with Pre accreditation Entry level and progressive level standards for organization as a whole, that focus on the most critical elements important for patient safety with the aim of including more and more healthcare organizations for starting their journey on the quality improvement path. This will also help the third party organizations to adopt these standards as minimal empanelment criteria.
NABH soon shall be fully computerized. A new website has been developed and is under beta testing. This shall bring in more transparency, accountability and more efficiency.
Lets us work together to create awareness; sensitize people and other stakeholders to work for improving healthcare quality and patient safety.
Dr. K K Kalra